Monday 2 May 2011

Shopping and a Girl Crush

I picked up this book (Cute and Easy Crochet by Nicki Trench) at the weekend.  I have wanted it for a while so was pretty pleased to grab the last copy in my local Hobbycraft along with a few sumptuous balls of yarn...


The brown and the pink are both 'Sublime Baby Cashmere Merino Silk DK'.  It is 75% extra fine merino, 20% silk and 5% cashmere.  It is soft, warm and I love the delicate shade of the colours.  I found a blanket in the book that I would love to use this yarn for but I would need to buy 32 balls.  (32 balls!) At £5.49 a ball that isn't something I can persuade our Household Financial Controller (husband) to sign off any time soon!  I couldn't leave the yarn in the shop so I bought six balls of it.  They didn't have it in store in a cream colour and I quite fancy making a cream baby blanket with accents of the brown and pink.  I am sure I can buy it cheaper elsewhere - I might try eBay.

I really want to make something out of the book soon though, so I'm going to give the fingerless gloves a try (although I prefer to call them wristwarmers!).  For this project I bought two balls of the cream-coloured yarn in the photo.  It is an Amy Butler for Rowan 'Belle Organic DK'.  It's 50% organic wool and 50% organic cotton.  I daren't start it yet in case I mess up but at least the material is in my basket for when I'm having one of my more confident moments!

Matalan is next to Hobbycraft in our town so whilst I was there I thought I'd pop in for a quick squizz.  There were lots of gorgeous little floral dresses in store but cute florals aren't me :( .  I saw this jumpsuit though and loved it:


It is difficult to show it properly in a photo without wearing it (and I'm not ready to post any photos of myself!) but it's kind of silky with a loose waist so it drapes nicely.  It also tapers at the ankle with little ties and has similar ties on the shoulders.  It looks lovely with my black leather jacket and nude platform peep-toe shoes.  I feel a bit Rod Stewart in it but I think I can get over that after a stiff gin!  It will be perfect for a nice dinner somewhere or drinks in a chic bar.  Here's a close up of the fabric:


Very happy with it and it only cost £22.  I always forget just how affordable Matalan is.  I'm not a huge fan of throwaway fashion; I don't often buy clothes but when I do I like to go for the best I can afford and tend to choose things that I hope will be timeless.  However, if I didn't go to the cheaper stores for a few bits and pieces my wardrobe would be a bit safe and boring.  I definitely wouldn't have much choice either!  I am trying to sort out my clothes at the minute and I've got a few events coming up at the end of the month so in a move that is completely out of character for me I am planning my outfits in advance (I never do this - I always frantically rush around the shops the day before a big dinner/wedding or whatever to find the right outfit).

So, back to work tomorrow having had over a week off.  I've got that end-of-holiday feeling which is ridiculous because I love my job, have a great boss and enjoy a certain degree of flexibility.  But it has been really nice to just potter around at home with my husband for the week.  The only thing I regret is that I didn't get round to any baking - this WeightWatchers thing is tough so probably a good job I didn't.

Before I go, can I just say that I'm now a tiny bit obsessed with Princess Kate.  I have always considered her to be a bit bland, boring and old before her time (I feel guilty for admitting that now).  Since the wedding I haven't been able to stop thinking about her.  She was so cool and calm on her wedding day.  She is thin, toned, impeccably behaved and beautifully turned out.  She must have such willpower and I am so totally jealous of her discipline and her cool head.

♥♥♥  I have a bit of a girl crush... ♥♥♥

Nicki 
x

3 comments:

  1. Just found your gorgeous blog and wanted to say hi.
    I noticed you posted a comment on my friend's blog (Tales from Cuckooland) and just wanted to say your blog is fab.
    Hmm, things we have in common....I love makeup but can never afford the stuff I really want (like Suqqu foundation), you crochet and I try to (currently got a book from the library which teaches crochet to six year olds, my kind of book!) and I also love Kate Middleton, although never used to (like you I found her bland).
    The royal wedding was amazing!
    Oh, and I am obsessed with black scottie dogs. I know you have a westie (they are the white ones right?) I want a scottie dog called Bruce. Don't ask me why...
    By the way, I have a blog which if you were interested in looking at is www.treasuresfromthecherrytree.blogspot.com
    Am obsessed with charity shop fashion which you may well notice on there!
    Gem x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love that book! Too much to try and so little time!!!! The yarn looks gorgeous!

    Loved the jumpsuit! Matalan has some gems!

    I got so hooked on watching the wedding. I, like you, could take or leave Kate, but that dress was stunning, she was stunning in it, the wedding was beautiful and I think she will make such a wonderful princess!

    Have a super day!

    Vanessa xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. What Gem hasn't told you is she's doing a super job at learning crochet as she is a lefty trying to crochet right handed!

    ReplyDelete